Welcome to Workout Reviews! With over 75 different workouts on DVD and counting, I've decided to review everything on base of intensity, fun, trainer. If you're looking to buy a DVD and are curious how it fits with you, then you've come to the right place. Compare your fitness level to mine at the time of my post and the difficulty I perceived. If I gave it an 8/10 but I'm more fit than you, hold off on it for a while unless you want a total challenge. If you're more fit, it may be a perfect workout! Need something hilarious? Check the "humorous" tag for workouts that might keep you laughing more than sweating. Curious about calories? Compare your gender and weight to mine and make a rough estimate of where you fall that way. Keep coming back for more reviews!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Kathy Smith: March to Fitness

Quick Facts:
Run time: Approximately 30 minutes
Equipment needed: An open mind for cheese.

My Details:
Height: 5'4" or just under
Weight: 130ish lbs
Fitness Stats: I suck at running. I doubt I can run 1 mile in under 10 minutes without feeling sick.

Quick Review:
Calories burned: 237 per 30 minutes, about 200 more than daily life.
Highest heart rate: 179
Lowest heart rate: 117
Difficulty: 6/10

Extended Review:
Publication date: too long ago. No, I'm serious. 1993, or like 18 years ago. This came out before I was even born. If you remember the early 90s and adored them, you might like this. Then again, I think it is good for anybody with a strange sense of humor. If you're like me, you'll love to laugh at it, from the clothes to the music.The music is picked from latin-esque "salsa" to cheesy 60s and "funk." It's honestly quite terrible- modern day gym music far surpasses it. I think I heard a song I remember from Barney, actually The two women who show you the moves (in addition to Kathy) are definitely NOT your typical fitness guru types. They have their stomachs covered and their thighs *gasp* TOUCH! Of course, if the abs arent shown, then obviously the shorts are super short, so you see almost everything.

As far as difficulty goes, I felt that it was kind of slow and lame, so naturally I added my own stuff to it, just to increase intensity. If you are doing what she has you do and you aren't at least slightly out of breath, then don't rely on my calorie stats. Roughly 5 calories per minute of activity is probably more than you would be burning. Where I burned most of my calories is during the "salsa" dancing part. I'm terribly uncoordinated with dance steps; my muscles just can't do it. That causes them to work harder, especially because I tend to just jump around and make it more high-impact.

Overall... Oh my goodness. Can you say super-cheese? Total 90s. Fun and energetic, but CHEEESSSSYYYY. The women aren't super small and they aren't all “here are my abs HAHAH!” and they look like real people, so that's good, but it does have the tendency to make you feel like you're a soccer mom from the 90s.
Fun level: 7/10
"This is Awful" humor level: 8/10
Intensity level: 5.5/10 going at her pace, 6/10 if you're laughing the entire time, 6.5/10 if you're adding in your own stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment